With tax season just around the corner, the IRS has released the second in their series of tips to keep your tax information safe online.
Read the full article here – https://www.irs.gov/uac/Dont-Take-the-Bait-Avoid-Phishing-and-Malware-to-Protect-Your-Personal-Data
Don’t Take the Bait; Avoid Phishing and Malware to Protect Your Personal Data
IRS Security Awareness Tax Tip Number 2, November 30, 2015
Here are a few simple steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Avoid suspicious phishing emails that appear to be from the IRS or other companies; do not click on the links- go directly to their websites instead.
- Beware of phishing scams asking you to update or verify your accounts.
- To avoid malware, don’t open attachments in emails unless you know who sent it and what it contains.
- Download and install software only from websites you know and trust.
- Use security software to block pop-up ads, which can contain viruses.
- Ensure your family understands safe online and computer habits.